Constellations, Launch, New Space and more…
TAG
“Baikonur”
A Look at the ISS Flight Manifest
Credit: NASA

Credit: NASA

There was a lot of discussion on Sunday about the impact of the loss of SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft on the International Space Station. NASA officials said the ISS crew was in no danger from a supply standpoint, and they said they would stick to the existing schedule for crew rotation but might change the cargo manifest.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • June 29, 2015
Baikonur Hits 60 Amid Uncertainty Over its Future
Soyuz TMA-16M lifts off. (Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls)

Soyuz TMA-16M lifts off. (Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls)

Sixty years ago on June 2, 1955, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) issued a directive approval the organizational and staff structure of Research Test Site No 5. And with that momentous document, the famed Baikonur Cosmodrome was born.

The spaceport has seen its fair share of historic events: the first artificial satellite, Sputnik, in 1957; the first man in space, Yuri Gagarin, in 1961; the first space station, Salyut 1, ten years later. Baikonur continues to hold the record for the most number of launches conducted annually. And it remains the only launch site for astronauts traveling to the International Space Station.

But, the venerable spaceport also has seen better days. The breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991 left Baikonur in the newly independent nation of Kazakhstan. Russia had to sign a long-term lease on the facility in order to launch its rockets from the facility. Russia’s space industry went into long-term decline as a lack of money damaged the space program and deterred a generation of young engineers from working in the field.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • June 5, 2015
Partners Adjust ISS Launches in Wake of Progress Launch Failure

iss_portrait3
WASHINGTON (NASA PR) — NASA and its international partners agreed Tuesday to set a new schedule for spacecraft traffic to and from the International Space Station.

The partner agencies agreed to adjust the schedule after hearing the Russian Federal Space Agency’s (Roscosmos) preliminary findings on the recent loss of the Progress 59 cargo craft. The exact dates have not yet been established, but will be announced in the coming weeks. Roscosmos expects to provide an update about the Progress 59 investigation on Friday, May 22.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • May 12, 2015
Brazil Abandons Troubled Cyclone-4 Program
Cyclone 4 first and second stages. (Credit: Alcantara Space)

Cyclone 4 first and second stages. (Credit: Alcantara Space)

It looks like the rumors I reported last month are true. Brazil has decided to pull out of its joint program with Ukraine to launch satellites aboard Cyclone-4 boosters from the Alcantara Launch Center.

“It is an accumulation of issues,” said Petronio Noronha de Souza, AEB’s director of space policy and strategic investments. “There have been challenges on the budget issues, on the technological aspects, in the relationship between Brazil and Ukraine and in the actual market for export that would be available. So it is a combination of things.”

In an April 14 interview at the Latin America Aero and Defense, or LAAD, show here, Noronha de Souza said a formal government announcement, likely from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on the program’s stoppage was imminent.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • April 16, 2015
Vostochny Workers Go on Hunger Strike Over Back Wages
Vladimir Putin reviews a map showing the plan for the Vostochny spaceport. (Credit: Presidential Press and Information Office)

Vladimir Putin reviews a map showing the plan for the Vostochny spaceport. (Credit: Presidential Press and Information Office)

Pity the poor workers at Vostochny.

They’re out there in the Russian Far East, in the middle of nowhere, trying to construct a massive new spaceport and an entire city to support it. There’s not enough people to do the work, the winter weather is horrible, and their employers have allegedly embezzled money while falling months behind on wage payments.

Meanwhile, President Vladimir Putin has decreed the first launch will take place from the new spaceport in December no matter. Deputy Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin — a great admirer of Josef Stalin — monitors the work via webcam in between regular visits. He recently threatened the rip the heads off anyone who steals funds or slows the project down.

Pressure? Oh, no pressure. What makes you say that?

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • April 6, 2015
Roscosmos Linked Bank Placed in Bankruptcy
Vladimir_Putin

Vladimir Putin

While the body count of prominent critics of Leader-for-Life Vladimir Putin rose again last week, the re-nationalization of Russia’s space industry continued to gather steam with a financial move that shows the benefits of being a friend of the Russian president.

The move involved FundServisBank, which was placed in administration (bankruptcy) under the Deposit Insurance Agency. The move was portrayed as an urgent response to a banking crisis caused by western sanctions over Russia’s aggression in Ukraine and the fall in value of the ruble.

Or was it?

“From a purely economic point of view the bank has no problems … you start to wonder who is behind this,” spokesman Grigory Belkin told The Moscow Times.

Yes, who indeed might be behind it? And why?

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • March 4, 2015
Russia Looks to Phase Out Rockot Launch Vehicle
Rockot launch vehicle

Rockot launch vehicle

It looks like we can add Rockot to the list of satellite launch vehicles that the Russians will be phasing out.

Russian media are reporting that the converted ballistic missile will be replaced by Angara and Soyuz-2.1v launch vehicles, which have had their initial flight tests over the past 14 months.

In addition to the availability of alternatives, there’s another reason for phasing out the Rockot: it depends upon components from Ukraine, with whom Russia is in conflict.

Media reports say that nation has banned export of Rockot parts in retaliation for the Russian annexation of Crimea and its support for rebel forces in eastern Ukraine.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • February 16, 2015
Year in Review: Launch Industry Disrupted in 2014

div_afspc4_l5
SpaceX Founder Elon Musk has long talked about disrupting the launch industry with low prices and technological innovations. In 2014, the impacts of those efforts were felt far and wide as competitors responded to the threat the California company posed to their livelihoods.

ULA Pivots. With SpaceX reeling off one successful launch after another, ULA pivoted on several fronts. One was to announce efforts to significantly reduce costs on its highly reliable but pricey Atlas V and Delta IV boosters. But, even that proved to be insufficient as SpaceX threatened ULA on several fronts.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • January 7, 2015
Falcon 9, Angara 5 & GSLV Mk. 3 Flights Highlight Crowded Launch Schedule

With only two weeks left in the year, the global launch schedule is crammed with 9 launches, including the flights of new launch vehicles by Russia and India and an unprecedented effort by SpaceX to recover a first-stage for reuse. Below are the highlights. Dec. 18. GSLV Mk.3: India will conduct the first test flight of its new medium-lift GSLV Mk. 3 launch vehicle. This will be a suborbital launch […]

  • Parabolic Arc
  • December 17, 2014
Report: Russia Won’t Meet 2018 Launch Date From Vostochny
OKA-T spacecraft (Credit: RSC Energia)

OKA-T spacecraft (Credit: RSC Energia)

A Russian plan to launch cosmonauts into orbit from the new Vostochny spaceport in 2018 appears to have been abandoned, but officials have come up with a way to sort of meet that deadline.

‘RussianSpaceWeb.com reports the current plan is to launch a human-tended microgravity laboratory called Oka-T into space in 2018. The free-flying laboratory will conduct material sciences experiments and would be periodically serviced by cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 4, 2014