NASA Administrator Charles Bolden explains NASA’s new plans at Kennedy Space Center.
PLANETARY SOCIETY STATEMENT
NASA received both strong support and a new direction from the Obama Administration in the fiscal year 2011 budget proposal. The new funding – an increase of six billion dollars over five years – stands out in the face of a widespread government budget freeze. Among other noteworthy proposals is the major shift to commercially developed rockets for human space flight.
While many details are still to emerge, The Planetary Society welcomes the overall budget increase and other proposals by the Obama Administration for NASA, and urges Congress to use the Administration’s proposal to finally advance human exploration beyond Earth orbit and beyond the Moon.
Former NASA astronaut and Augustine Committee member Leroy Chiao says that President Obama’s plan for NASA gives the “New Space” community a chance to execute on everything it’s been promising for the last few years:
Many of my colleagues and peers have written articles and pieces, deriding the idea of commercial LEO access. Indeed, the track record of the self-described “New Space†companies has thus far, been marked generally with failure and arrogance. Not all, but many of these folks, before they run their companies into the ground, seem to spend the bulk of their time attending self-serving, self-aggrandizing conferences where openly slinging mud at NASA is sport. This is hardly constructive, and it brings discredit to others who have serious aspirations for the future of commercial spaceflight.
NSS STATEMENT
The National Space Society (NSS) commends NASA and the Executive Branch for proposing to increase spending for science, technology, and sustainable economic development in space; however, we believe the President’s 2011 budget request would leave the job only partly done. NSS calls for the President and Congress to restore funding for human spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit. NASA’s goal should be to make it possible to incorporate energy and resources from space into our economy and to extend human presence throughout the solar system.
Two former astronauts – Apollo 17’s Gene Cernan and the space shuttle’s Tom Jones – are criticizing President Obama’s plan for NASA as a short-sighted effort that leaves the United States with no direction in space and which will cede leadership to other nations such as China and India.
NASA Chief Takes Blame for Budget Backlash
Space.com
NASA chief Charles Bolden said Saturday that he takes full responsibility for the shock and surprise from employees and lawmakers after learning that President Barack Obama had cancelled the space agency’s plan to build new spaceships to send astronauts back to the moon.
Bolden, a retired Marine Corps general and former space shuttle commander, told reporters it was his fault the Monday announcement from the Obama administration caught people inside and outside the space agency off guard.
Spaceport bill passes Oklahoma House day after failing
NewsOK
House members reversed themselves Thursday less than 24 hours after voting down an appropriations bill for the agency that funds the Oklahoma Spaceport near Burns Flat….
Senate OKs liability bill for spaceport
Associated Press
Legislation aimed at protecting New Mexico’s spaceport from liability while the commercial space industry tackles the hazards of space flight was approved Friday on a 37-0 vote in the state Senate.
Back in the day (which I think was only last year ago), the SyFy Channel (then known as SciFi) would produce short video recaps updating its perpetually perplexed viewers on the latest developments in its maddeningly complex space drama, “Battlestar Galactica.”
The recaps were titled “Battlestar Galactica: What the Frak is Going On?” Frak being the alien equivalent of a four-letter English that can’t be used on basic cable. Why was it OK to show people getting blown to bits but not cursing? Who knows? But, I digress…
In this spirit, I would like to briefly explain what I believe is going on with Obama’s proposed human spaceflight policy, “Galatica” style.
While a debate rages this week over whether NASA can make human spaceflight faster, cheaper and at least as safe through privatization, a pair of top military officials were publicly criticizing America’s private aerospace contractors for the poor quality of their work. DOD Buzz reports:
The makers of America’s rockets and satellites “are still stumbling on fundamentals too often,†said Gary Payton, former astronaut and the top Air Force man on space acquisition. Payton’s comments seem to indicate a continuing trend of shoddy quality control among those whose toughest job is turning out top quality parts and software and making sure they work and fit well.
John Travolta says he can’t take six months out of his schedule to prepare for a flight aboard Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo.
X PRIZE FOUNDATION PRESS RELEASE
While many are calling President Obama’s proposed grounding of NASA’s program to return to the Moon the ending of an era for space travel, the X PRIZE Foundation sees this new budget proposal as a visionary step for NASA and an opportunity to forge new ideas, develop much-needed technology, and channel the American Spirit spurring innovation and entrepreneurship.







