Constellations, Launch, New Space and more…
AUTHOR
Doug Messier
Ukraine Defense Minister Guarantees $250 Million for Joint Rocket Effort

Ukraine's Cyclone rocket

Brazilian Ministry of Defense PR — On a visit to the Brazilian Ministry of Defense, Defense Minister of Ukraine, Mykhailo Yezhel Bronislavovych, said today that Ukraine is transferring its part of investment in Alcântara Cyclone Space (ACS), a binational company created to market business services from rocket and satellite Maranhão.

“We have the resources of U.S. $250 million to be invested from October. We are also open to transfer technology to a new satellite launcher, the Cyclone 5, which will be produced jointly with Brazil,” he said.

The Brazilian Defense Minister, Celso Amorim, said that ACS is a strategic project for Brazil.

“Most of the program is under the control of the Brazilian Space Agency, the Defense Ministry has only a small share, but the promised contribution is excellent news, which bodes well for technological cooperation between the two countries,” he said.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 29, 2011
Send Your DNA into Space

ALEXANDRIA, Va., Sept. 27, 2011 — Have you ever wanted to go to space? Not a multi-millionaire? No problem. rSPACE LLC, a company whose goal is to allow everyone the chance to actively and personally participate in a real rocket launch into outer space, announces the historical formation of the DNA Astronaut Corps. DNA Astronaut is the idea of J.P. Stevens, President and CEO of rSPACE LLC, former advisor to U.S. Senator John Glenn, Vice President of Space at the Aerospace Industries Association, and creator of the world’s largest rocket contest.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
NASA Conducts Orion Parachute Tests in Arizona

NASA PR — HOUSTON — NASA last week completed the first in a series of flight-like parachute tests for the agency’s Orion spacecraft. The drop tests at the U.S. Army’s Yuma Proving Grounds in Arizona support the design and development of the Orion parachute assembly. Flying at an altitude of 25,000 feet, a drop-test article that mimicked the Orion parachute compartment was deployed from a C-130 aircraft. Once airborne, two […]

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
TPIS Releases White Paper in Support of SLS Review

Tea Party in Space White Paper
Space Launch System Procurement Could Violate CICA

September 2011

Subject: De Facto Sole Sourcing of Space Launch System Would Violate Law

Summary: A violation of 41 U.S.C. 253 (the Competition in Contracting Act of 1984) will occur if NASA moves ahead with a decision to avoid full and open competition by implementing “de facto sole source awards” on the Space Launch System, which will cost anywhere from $111 to $322 billion in taxpayer funds, and potentially much more.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
NASA Releases Global Exploration Roadmap

WASHINGTON — NASA is releasing the initial version of a Global Exploration Roadmap (GER) developed by the International Space Exploration Coordination Group. This roadmap is the culmination of work by 12 space agencies, including NASA, during the past year to advance coordinated space exploration. The GER begins with the International Space Station and expands human presence throughout the solar system, leading ultimately to crewed missions to explore the surface of […]

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
Rohrabacher Demands Release of NASA Fuel Depot Analysis

Washington, Sep 26 – Today, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) continued his criticism of NASA’s new design for deep space exploration by sending a letter to former NASA’s Administrator Dr. Michael D. Griffin asking him to join Rohrabacher’s call for NASA to release their recent analysis and conclusions regarding on-orbit fuel depots. Dr. Griffin spoke about on-orbit technology during his testimony before the House Science, Space and Technology Committee on September 22rd, 2011.

“I’m certain you are aware that on-orbit fuel depots were included in NASA’s initial Human Exploration Framework…as presented on May 25, 2010,” writes Rohrabacher. “Somewhere in the intervening time, depots were dropped from the plan. It is important for Congress and the American people to understand how and why that decision was made.”

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
Brazil, Ukraine Deepen Space Cooperation

Ukraine's Cyclone rocket

AEB PR — The space cooperation between Brazil and Ukraine has taken another important step. It was extremely productive meeting held on Tuesday, September 13, 2011, the Brazilian Space Agency (AEB)  between, headed by its chairman, Marco Antonio Raupp, delegation visits and SDO Yuzhnoye Company of Ukraine, led by its director general, Alexander Degtyarev. The meeting was attended by representatives of the Institute of Aeronautics and Space Department of Aerospace Science and Technology (DCTA), the Secretariat of Strategic Affairs (SAE) and Alcântara Cyclone Space Company (ACS).

The meeting continued the understandings started during the visit of Brazilian technical committee, headed by the President of AEB, in early July, the Ukrainian industries involved in the program of bi-national company ACS, which will promote launches of Cyclone-4 rocket, Ukraine from the center of Alcantara, Brazil, introducing a safe and economical alternative in the global market for commercial launches.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 28, 2011
Lockheed Martin Aims for Human Flight to Moon in 2016

A full-scale Orion mockup. Image Credit: NASA

U.S. astronauts would circle the moon within five years under a plan proposed to NASA by Lockheed Martin, according to Aviation Week:

A 70-metric-ton version of the eventual, much larger SLS, perhaps fitted with a Boeing Delta 4 upper stage, could sling astronauts around the Moon in 2016, under a test flight scenario that Lockheed Martin has discussed with NASA. The demonstration mission would accelerate plans for the first human mission of the four-person MPCV by five years….

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 27, 2011
Congressman Seeks GAO Investigation into SLS Contracting


California Rep. Tom McClintock is asking the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to investigate NASA’s plans to use existing contractors for the Space Launch System instead of competitive bidding.

“I have serious concerns with NASA’s attempt to avoid holding a full and open competition to acquire the SLS,” McClintock wrote. “NASA is considering modifying and/or extending existing contracts for retired or cancelled programs resulting in one or more ‘de facto sole source awards.’ Some of those contracts were originally awarded on a sole source basis.

(more…)

  • Parabolic Arc
  • September 27, 2011