Blue Origin Mission Update
Blue Origin today announced its sixth human flight, NS-22, will lift off from Launch Site One on Thursday, August 4. The launch window opens at 8:30 AM CDT / 13:30 UTC. The webcast will start at T-30 minutes.
Blue Origin announced the crew flying on its NS-22 mission will include Dude Perfect cofounder Coby Cotton, Portuguese entrepreneur Mário Ferreira, British-American mountaineer Vanessa O’Brien, technology leader Clint Kelly III, Egyptian engineer Sara Sabry, and telecommunications executive Steve Young. Sara will become the first person from Egypt to fly to space; Mário will become the first from Portugal. Vanessa will become the first woman to reach extremes on land, sea, and air, completing the Explorers’ Extreme Trifecta, a Guinness World Record.
Additionally, Blue Origin released the NS-22 mission patch. A few of the symbols embedded in the design include:
- The Pyramids of Egypt represent Sara Sabry’s heritage and celebrate her accomplishment as the country’s first astronaut.
- The Mariana Trench represents Vanessa O’Brien’s feat in reaching Challenger Deep, Earth’s deepest point.
- The crew capsule is depicted as a basketball, symbolizing Dude Perfect’s trick shots and Coby Cotton’s role in co-founding the company.
- Magellan’s ship represents Mário Ferreira’s Portuguese heritage and lifelong passion for adventure.
- The fish swimming below Magellan’s ship symbolize Steve Young’s passion for fishing.
- The stagecoach represents Clint Kelly III’s aspirations for humanity’s reach into the new frontier of space.
- New Shepard’s booster and the West Texas mountains are also represented in the patch.