- Parabolic Arc
- March 27, 2023
Roscosmos to Send Director, Actress to Film Movie on ISS in October
MOSCOW (Roscosmos PR) — On May 13, 2021, the State Commission completed the candidate selection for participating in the spaceflight to film the motion picture tentatively called ‘Challenge’. As a result of medical and creative selection, the State Commission recommended to nominate Yulia Peresild and Klim Shipenko as the prime crew and Alena Mordovina and Alexey Dudin as the backup crew. The filming will take place at the International Space Station. The expedition is planned to launch on October 5, 2021 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on the Soyuz MS-19 spacecraft.
- Yulia Peresild is 36 years old, graduated from the directing department of GITIS, actress of the Theater of Nations, Honored Artist of the Russian Federation. Filmography: ‘The Edge’, ‘Battle for Sevastopol’, ‘Ugryum-River’, ‘Zuleikha Opens Her Eyes’ and others, received two Golden Eagle awards.
- Klim Shipenko is 37 years old, graduated from California University, acting studio, actor, stage director, and playwright. Filmography: ‘Salyut-7’, ‘Text’, ‘Serf’, etc.
- Alena Mordovina is 33 years old, graduated from the acting department of GITIS, actress of the New Drama Theater. Filmography and TV series: ‘Zhuki’, ‘Diplomat’, ‘Trigger’, ‘The Closer’, ‘Call DiCaprio!’ and others.
- Alexey Dudin is 40 years old, graduated from the Moscow Automechanical Institute, worked on TV, director of photography, cinematography in films and series ‘The Other Side of the Moon’, ‘The Spacewalker’, ‘Yolki-5’, ‘Going Vertical’, ‘T-34’ and others.
A special focus was put Galina Kairova’s participation in the project, who was invited to continue the selection process to the cosmonaut corps on a professional basis.
- Galina Kairova is 26 years old, graduated from Krasnokutsk Flight School of Civil Aviation, State University of Management, pilot.
All selected candidates will begin special training for space flight participants no later than June 1. Among other things, they will have to take centrifuge tests, vibration stand tests, perform introductory and training flights on a zero-gravity plane, undergo parachute training. All this will be covered by Channel One.
The feature film ‘Challenge’ is a part of a large-scale scientific and educational project, which also includes a series of documentaries to be shot about the rocket and space industry enterprises and specialists involved in the manufacturing of launch vehicles, spacecraft, and ground space infrastructure. The project will become a clear example of the fact that spaceflights are gradually becoming available not only for professionals, but also for an increasingly wider range of those interested.
In addition to educational tasks, a number of new technical and technological problems will be solved. As part of the ‘Challenge’ project, an open competition was announced at the end of 2020 to select the lead in the first feature film in space. At the creative stage of selection, preference was given to professional actresses however everyone could try their hand. In March 2021, 20 finalists of the competition were selected to pass the medical review.
The ‘Challenge’ is a joint project of Roscosmos, Channel One and the Yellow, Black and White studio.
Information about the film
- ‘CHALLENGE’ (tentative title)
- Genre: space drama
- Stage Director — Klim Shipenko (‘Serf’, ‘Salyut-7’, ‘Text’)
- Screenplay: Bakur Bakuradze, Klim Shipenko
- Producers: Denis Zhalinsky, Eduard Iloyan, Dmitry Rogozin, Sergey Titinkov, Alexey Trotsyuk, Vitaly Shlyappo, Konstantin Ernst.