- Parabolic Arc
- March 30, 2023
National Space Council Releases Deep Space Exploration and Development Report
WASHINGTON (White House PR) — Today, the National Space Council released “A New Era for Deep Space Exploration and Development,” a report prepared by the National Space Council staff in consultation with National Space Council members and the Users’ Advisory Group that describes the rationale and purpose for the Administration’s new direction in space.
Deputy Assistant to the President and Executive Secretary of the National Space Council Scott Pace, Ph.D., released the following statement:
“‘A New Era for Deep Space Exploration and Development’ represents a comprehensive, whole-of-government approach to this Administration’s ambitious space exploration efforts, providing a vision for a sustained human presence on, and the robust commercial development of, the Moon and Mars. This report describes how and why the United States will proceed with deep space exploration, delineating the strategic interests and specific programs that underpin America’s position as the world’s leader among spacefaring nation.”
The success of American space exploration and development in this new era will require a whole-of-government approach. Five primary government roles are crucial to executing the vision described in this report:
1) Promote a secure and predictable space environment for the long-term sustainability of space activities;
2) Support the development of commercial activity and industry in space;
3) Support research and development of new space technologies;
4) With commercial and international partners, create infrastructure needed for space exploration and development; and
5) Support advanced space research by public and private sector U.S. research communities.
Click here for the full text of “A New Era for Deep Space Exploration and Development.”