- Parabolic Arc
- November 29, 2023
Satellite Industry Continued Growth in 2013
Washington, D.C., May 19, 2014 (SIA PR) — The Satellite Industry Association (SIA) today released its 2014 State of the Satellite Industry Report, showing a three percent growth rate in world satellite industry revenues in 2013. Globally, 2013 revenues for the satellite industry totaled $195.2 billion, up from $188.8 billion the previous year. Overall industry growth was led by the satellite services segment, the traditional driver for the industry, which saw its revenues increase by almost $7 billion. Satellite manufacturing also saw significant growth, with 2013 revenues coming in eight percent higher than the year prior. Satellite ground equipment revenues saw modest growth, while satellite launch revenues decreased.
In 2013, the satellite industry posted continued growth just as it has done for more than the past 15 years,” said Patricia Cooper, President of SIA. “Our industry continues to drive new and innovative space-based technologies, designed to deliver high quality, highly reliable ubiquitous solutions for a vast array of global applications. We serve hundreds of millions of consumers around the world, connect far-flung businesses to their suppliers, partners, and customers, and provide vital services to the public safety and military communities. SIA and its members remain committed to supporting a policy framework which will generate additional growth in the coming years.”
This is the seventeenth year in which SIA has issued its annual State of the Satellite Industry Report. The Report was prepared by The Tauri Group. Tauri polled over 80 satellite companies, both SIA members and non-members and augmented the information with market analysis and financial reporting, to assess the performance of four satellite industry sectors: satellite services, satellite manufacturing, satellite launch industry, and ground equipment.
Carissa Christensen, the Managing Partner of The Tauri Group, noted that the SIA State of the Satellite Industry Report, “is an industry standard used by senior decision-makers around the world. The Tauri Group is pleased to partner with SIA on the 2014 SSIR and enable SIA to continue its reputation as a reliable and unbiased source for industry information.”
The 2014 State of the Satellite Industry Report includes the following results:
- Satellite Services revenues increased by five percent globally from 2012 to 2013, reaching $118.6 billion, powered by continued growth in consumer satellite television services.
- Satellite Manufacturing revenues, reflecting the value of satellites launched in 2013, grew by eight percent worldwide to $15.7 billion. U.S. satellite manufacturing increased by 33 percent, from $8.2 billion to $10.9 billion, driven by the delivery of a large number of high-value satellites for U.S. government customers.
- Satellite Launch Industry revenues, which include revenues for all commercially-competed launches that occurred in 2013, declined by seven percent from their all-time peak in 2012, though U.S. revenues increased by 17 percent, rising from $2.0 billion to $2.4 billion and the number of commercially procured launches conducted worldwide increased slightly from 59 to 62.
- Satellite Ground Equipment revenues continued to increase, increasing by one percent over 2012 to reach $55.5 billion. Consumer ground equipment, including satellite TV, satellite broadband, mobile satellite terminals, and navigation devices, constituted the bulk of these revenues.
- U.S. Satellite Industry Employment, as of the third quarter of 2013, had halted its post-recession decline, losing less than 250 jobs out of a total of more than 225,000. U.S. private sector employment in the satellite services and satellite launch segments expanded in the first three quarters of 2013, while the other two segments offset this growth. SIA will release an updated report after full 2013 employment data is published in August by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
A copy of the 2014 State of the Satellite Industry Report can be found at the following link: https://www.sia.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SIA_2014_SSIR.pdf
About The Satellite Industry Association
SIA is a U.S.-based trade association providing worldwide representation of the leading satellite operators, service providers, manufacturers, launch services providers, and ground equipment suppliers. Since its creation more than eighteen years ago, SIA has advocated for the unified voice of the U.S. satellite industry on policy, regulatory, and legislative issues affecting the satellite business. For more information, visit www.sia.org