ORLANDO, FL., September 21, 2012 (Space Florida PR) – On Friday, 10 high-tech start-ups had the opportunity to present their business models to national financers at the Igniting Innovation Showcase, hosted by Space Florida and the Technological Research and Development Authority (TRDA) in Orlando, FL. At the conclusion of the networking event, Space Florida awarded a $100,000 check to BioCurity selected by the judging panel as having the most potential for near-term growth and commercial success, while contributing to Florida’s economy.
BioCurity develops therapeutic solutions for cancer treatment – specifically – the company, based in New Smyrna Beach, FL, has created a topical cream that has the ability to protect cells and tissue exposed to toxic cancer radiation treatments. RadGuard is currently in preliminary trials at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Orlando. “The management team has a credible track record, and the company has a smart exit strategy and well-protected intellectual property,” noted Bernie McShea, Space Florida Vice President of Business Development and one of the judges participating in the award selection. “This product has the potential to truly benefit mankind in a handful of years. We look forward to watching this company grow and succeed.”
“This event is well on its way to becoming the gold standard for networking opportunities between the investor community and Florida-based advanced stage entrepreneurs,” said Space Florida President Frank DiBello. “The companies that presented today were all very well prepared and made a solid case for funding, tied to potential job creation and impact to Florida’s economy.”
Criteria used to select the $100,000 award winner included:
- Whether the product or service serves a relatively large, growing market
- Whether the product or service has a unique commercial application
- If the company had a proven management team backing their business model
- If the company has their key intellectual property protected.
Award judges were:
- Bernie McShea, Space Florida VP, Business Development
- Percy Luney, Space Florida VP, Education, Research and Development, and Workforce
- Charles Resnick, managing partner of Inflexion Fund, a Florida-based, early-stage VC firm
- Keevin Williams, Space Florida VP, Special Projects & Strategic Initiatives
This year’s event featured 15 presenting companies. During the 2011 event, 20 companies presented and to date, nine of those companies have secured approximately $40 million in capital as a result of the relationships formed at this event.
“This funding will set the bar for moving this product into market,” said Dr. Cheryl Baker, BioCurity Founder and Chief Scientific Officer. “We can now say we are moving forward with commercializing this product and getting it into the hands of those that will benefit directly from it. It is truly an exciting day for us.”
In addition to BioCurity, other participating presenters at the Showcase included:
- Diametriq – Focusing 4G/LTE signaling solutions for wireless networks, located in Melbourne, FL.
- flexReceipts – Enabling merchants to deliver digital receipts and consumers the ability to store and access those receipts in one central, cloud-based platform, located in Windermere, FL.
- NATION Technologies Group, Inc. – Specializing in revolutionizing Information Security, located in Lake Mary, FL.
- Solis Energy, Inc. – A manufacturer of solar generators and outdoor battery backup systems for wireless radios, surveillance and remote monitoring, located in Altamonte Springs, FL.
- Solodev – A company with a multi-channel content management platform, enabling enterprise clients to easily build and manage content simultaneously across native mobile applications, interactive websites, social media CRM, ecommerce and more, located in Orlando, FL.
- Trapezoid Digital Security Services – Specializing in digital security and hardware trust for enterprise and cloud environments, located in Miami, FL.
- Via Response Technologies, LLC – A company with a web-based platform that enables course instructors to ask questions, poll students, validate attendance, conduct assessments (quizzes/tests) and engage classrooms via a robust, highly interactive way, located in Orlando, FL.
- Vigilant Biosciences, Inc. – A medical device company focused on developing technologies and products to enable early disease detection and intervention, located in Miami, FL.
- Zentila.com – Providing the first, complete platform enabling corporate planners to coordinate, price and book meetings and conventions at hotels entirely online, located in Windermere, FL.
“Through the Igniting Innovation Showcase, Florida’s most innovative and promising entrepreneurs have the opportunity to access seasoned business mentors and early-stage capital critical to their growth and in turn the growth and vibrancy of Florida’s economy,” said Chester Straub, executive director of the Technological Research and Development Authority.
Members of the I2 Showcase Qualification Review Board who mentored presenting companies included:
- John Cambier, Managing Partner, IDEA Fund Partners
- Tim Cartwright, Managing Director, Tamiami Angel Fund
- Jennifer Dunham, Operating Principal, Arsenal Venture Partners
- Bob Fleming, Managing Partner, Inlet Venture Partners
- Richard Molloy, Founder and Managing Partner, Florida Gulfshore Capital
- Randall Poliner, Partner, Antares Capital
- Casey Swercheck, Associate, Hamilton Lane.