House Subcommittee on Space Hearing
Private Sector Lunar Exploration
Thursday, September 7, 2017 – 10:00am
2318 Rayburn House Office Building)
NASA is supporting private sector exploration of the Moon through various programs. The private sector is also investing their own funding in the hopes of serving a future market for transportation, cargo delivery, and surface operations (including in situ resource utilization). Moon Express plans to launch a mission to the Moon later this year or early next year. Astrobotic recently announced a mission in 2019. Blue Origin disclosed its “Blue Moon” concept last spring. The United Launch Alliance and SpaceX have also indicated plans to operate in cislunar space in the near-future. The Hearing will review these efforts, and NASA’s role, in order to better understand the challenges and opportunities that they present.
- Mr. Jason Crusan, director, Advanced Exploration Systems, NASA
- Mr. Bob Richards, founder and CEO, Moon Express, Inc.
- Mr. John Thornton, chief executive officer, Astrobotic Technology, Inc.
- Mr. Bretton Alexander, director of business development and strategy, Blue Origin
- Dr. George Sowers, professor, space resources, Colorado School of Mines